Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Make // Bath Accessories with Mod Podge Sheer Colors

I'm a sucker for transparent, beautiful colors and, if you've been following this blog for a bit, you've probably noticed that I also enjoy working with glass. So when the opportunity came up to work with the new Mod Podge Sheer Colors, my mind was bouncing around with the endless possibilities. Over the past year or so, you've probably seen a lot of techniques for coloring glass-- colored mason jars, anyone? Some techniques are more effective than others and many have a learning curve. Well, Mod Podge Sheer Colors takes out the guess work and makes coloring glass simple and easy.

After tossing around several project ideas, I decided to go with one that is not only visually pretty, but will also tackle one of the organizational projects that I have planned for this year.

The Project: Organize My Vanity



While this may not seem like a big "task"… For me, it is. For the last several years I've kept all of my cosmetics, including brushes, eyeliners, and lipsticks in a deep, bottomless travel case. While this is great for when we actually do travel (since I don't have to pack anything up), it's a bit of a mess when it comes to my daily routine. shuffle, shuffle... Lipstick, where are you? dump, dump… Where did my blush brush go? shuffle, ouch! darn you tweezers! I know there's eyeliner in there somewhere… So, procrastinator that I am, getting my vanity organized is a big deal.  :)


After a trip to the store to peruse some inexpensive vases, I decided to use stemless wine glasses. They're wide enough to hold a lot of supplies, but short enough so that items can easily be identified, pulled out and put back. Next up was choosing a color. Mod Podge Sheer Colors has nine very pretty, translucent options. I decided to go with sheer purple, which I think is reminiscent of radiant orchid, Pantone's 2014 color of the year. Our master bath is a very boring white and cream, so really, any pop of color is a welcome addition.


How to Color Glass with Mod Podge Sheer Colors



Materials Used:
stemless wine glasses - I purchased mine at World Market
Mod Podge Sheer Colors in Sheer Purple**
decoupage tools--
  Gold Taklon Bristle brush for the smooth ombre finish | Spouncer sponge for a spackled look | Course bristled brush       for dry brush texture
water proof sealant - I used Mod Podge's new dishwasher safe formula**
clear vase filler
ceramic tray (optional) - purchased at World Market

**Purchase at Michaels and Plaid


Before getting started, I decided to test out a few of the Mod Podge Sheer Colors on clear glass as well as a white ceramic tile.

The color in the bottle is opaque. However, once dry, the color is much more subtle and translucent, especially on glass. On the white tile, the color is more bold and vibrant, however it still maintains a glossy, glass-like look. Mod Podge Sheer Colors can also be used on wood, metal and other materials.

colors shown: sheer purple, sheer pink, sheer orange and sheer green

One color, three different techniques…


spackled | dry brush | ombre

Instructions:

Dry Brush Technique

recommended tool: old, coarse paint brush
Make sure your surface is clean and is free from oil or residue. Squeeze out a little Mod Podge Sheer Color onto a palette or work tray (I used a paper plate). Find your oldest, coarsest paint brush and dip it into the color. Dab off any excess then apply the color to the cup in one direction. I started bottom to top, brushing on the color from the bottom of the cup to the lip. Rotate the cup and continue to brush the color on, bottom to top. Apply more color as needed. Use your fingertip to remove any excess from the lip of the cup. Let the cup dry completely, around 15 minutes. Rinse out your brush and dry.

When the color is dry, you should see vertical lines on the cup. Now it's time to add the horizontal lines. Repeat the process above, however, this time apply the color horizontally. Rotate the cup to keep the lines as continuous as possible. Let the color dry completely before touching, around 15 minutes.

Ombre Technique

recommended tool: Plaid Gold Taklon Bristles brush or decoupage brush with soft, smooth bristles


Put a little Mod Podge Sheer Colors on a paper plate. Make sure your surface is clean and is free from oil or residue. Using the gold taklon bristles brush, dip the brush into the color and dab off any excess. Use a very thin coat of color for each layer.

Starting at the lip of the cup, lightly apply the color in one downward swipe. Apply more color as needed. Continue around the cup until it is covered with color. Swipe the lip of the cup with your fingertip to remove any excess that may have collected. Let dry completely, around 15 minutes. Rinse out the brush and dry.

Repeat the procedure, but this time, instead of starting at the lip of the cup, start about one-third of the way down. Let dry completely, another 15 minutes. Rinse out the brush and dry between each coat of color. Repeat this process three more times or until you are happy with the color change. Make sure the color is completely dry between each coat.

For the final, darkest color, repeat this process, but this time you'll want to start about two-thirds of the way down (or the bottom third of the cup). Repeat this process two more times, or until you are happy with the color. Rinse out the brush and dry between each coat of color. Make sure that each layer is completely dry before applying another coat of color.

Spackled Technique

recommended tool: Plaid Spouncer sponge

Make sure your surface is clean and is free from oil or residue.  Squeeze out some Mod Podge Sheer Colors onto a paper plate. Dip your spouncer sponge into the color and blot it out a little onto a clean area on the plate. Pounce the color onto the clean glass. Repeat as necessary. Slowly turn glass until it is completely covered with color. Rinse sponge before the product dries.

Set aside until completely dry, around 15 minutes.

Seal the Glass

recommended tool: Plaid Gold Taklon Bristles brush or decoupage brush with soft, smooth bristles


Since these glasses will be in the bathroom and close to water, I decided to seal them. I used Mod Podge's new dishwasher safe formula. These need to cure for a couple more weeks before I can truly test their waterproof qualities, but so far, I'm happy with the results. I applied 3 thin coats, letting each coat dry before applying the next. Once the sealant is dry, the texture is hard and not tacky.


My newly organized vanity!



For more details about Mod Podge Sheer Colors, view the following instructional videos:

Connect with Plaid and get inspired by their latest products and tutorials:




disclosure: This post is sponsored by Plaid. As always, all opinions, photos and project ideas are my own.

[return to HOME PAGE]